Tuesday, November 4, 2008

VW buses



When you first arrive in a foreign land, I feel like they are things that surprise you at first, but you quickly get used to. I want to try and capture most of these in this blog. And one of the first things I noticed while I was here was all the VW buses!!

These are iconic surf-mobiles, right? Out at Ocean Beach, I'm used to seeing plenty of old VW's: beat up VW's that homeless dudes are living out of. Kinda nicer VW's that bohemian surfers are living out of. And a nice shiny red VW, that has been beautifully restored and has a sign on the side of it:

So lots of VW buses. Seems to reflect the chill vibe I'm used to at Ocean Beach and can feel everywhere here in Brazil! Beach is a way of life here for sure. Everyone has asked if I've been "na praia" (to the beach) yet! For me, it's October, it's still raining outside, I can hardly think of the beach! But I do want to go . . .

2 comments:

Dan Zilic said...

what a nice little blog sweetheart, even if the dental thing has screwed your ad-targeting! I especially enjoyed this blog as I thought the VW suited me well (Martin always talks about renting one and driving down the French and Spanish coasts for one summer) and my parents used to have one. And I am pretty sure everyone would make some snarky remarks if I were standing there saying "Ha, Dan, u need to use the back door". Anyway, I am glad you are having a great time and just like you I am happy Obama won the election, your blogpost about it made for emphatic reading. xx

Liz said...

Awwwww, thanks, Dani! It's so nice to have a comment and know that people are reading. I'm very impressed to hear your parents once had a Scooby Doo van. If you and Martin ever success in driving one down the French and Spanish coast, please do invite me. I can make an awesome designated driver.

Big fat kiss from Sao Paolo!!!

liz