Sunday, November 9, 2008

Falla Portuguese Week 2: Taxi Driver Portuguese

The more you know, the more you realize you don't know. This is how it is with me and this language. I remember at the end of nine months in France, thinking how little I really knew, and then six months after being back in the US, confidently telling other Americans that I could speak French. It's all relative.

Anyway, I realize I don't know Portuguese very well at all. My friends and co-workers try practicing portuguese with me, but it's so slow that we eventually just switch over to English. The only place I succeed in having conversations is with the taxi drivers. I have enough vocabulary to carry on a 15 minute conversation on the ride to work. But even then, I can get absolutely lost. With one particularly chatty cab driver, I got extremely lost. He wanted to talk about the US election and how it related to BR President Lula and some regional politics. Hell, I probably would've gotten lost if we had been speaking in English. So yeah, I don't know how to speak portuguese, except with Taxi Drivers? You talking to me?



Voce fallando conmigo?

No comments: